2.12.2013

Strawberry Scones

Man have I been busy. Important things happening around these parts.
Not only did I watch season 1 and 2 of Downton Abbey but I managed to catch up to the latest episode in season 3. Yeah, you read that right. Its a miracle really when you consider I have a 4 month old baby and the hubby was out of town. I got so immersed in it that I was half expecting my lady maid to walk in and dress me for the day (if you don't understand what that means you haven't watched the show and well you should go watch it immediately). So in honor of Downton Abbey and their fancy ways, I made scones! We had a huge carton of strawberries from our latest Costco rampage and they were on the verge of being wasted so I thought why not.
Shhhh don't tell anyone but I am a messy cook.
Aren't they beautiful? Or as Lady Mary would say they are lovely.
 
Ingredients:
- 1 cup strawberries, diced into bite size pieces
- 5 tablespoons sugar (granulated)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter, room temperature and cut into cubes
- 2/3 cup heavy cream

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Sprinkle diced strawberries with 1 tablespoon sugar and set aside.

2. Combine 3 tablespoons of sugar with flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in the butter, using a pastry cutter, fork, or two knives (google it for demonstration if your not sure what to do). Stir in the strawberries then add the heavy cream. Use spatula to gently stir dough until it holds together.

3. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead a few times to mix all the ingredients. Be gentle so you don't break up the strawberries and don't overwork the dough. Sprinkle dough with flour if it gets sticky.

4. Press the dough into a circle 3/4 inch thick. Cut circle into 6-8 wedges, then transfer wedges to the cookie sheet, leaving at least 1/2 inch of space between them. Bake 15 minutes.

5. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of sugar and bake 5-10 more minutes or until the tops are beginning to brown.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

These were indeed lovely. Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe. It was a huge hit with my family!