1.28.2009

The Great Depression

Since I work in the health care industry I thought I was safe from the economic slump that Bush (in my opinion) put us in. Well that is sadly not the case. Over the past few weeks my wonderful nursing home has been in a slump just like the rest of the country. Our case load has been dwindling for a number of reasons:
1. Lots O' Death...I know its not funny but when you work in a nursing home you have to laugh about it. I do believe in the old saying that death comes in threes. I can count 9 wonderful people who have left this world over the past 2-3 weeks. 3+3+3 = 9 Scary huh
2. People are opting not to have surgery...at least the non-life threatening kind like replacing the old knees and hips. How does this affect a speech therapist you ask. Well 9 times out of 10 a patient goes into surgery sane and comes out a wackadoodle. Speech Therapy then swoops in with some awesome cognitive therapy to get them back on track.
3. People are going back to there homes after leaving the hospital to save on money rather than spending some time or the remainder of their life in the nursing home.
With all this said, I am extremely bored at work and my productivity has been in the 30's (the goal is 75%) Ouch. So keep your fingers crossed that things pick up and my job is secure.

One more thing to add to the depression. People called Jessica Simpson fat in this picture! I'm not the biggest fan of JS but come on, she is not fat! Sure she has on some horrendous mom jeans with the beginnings of camel toe but fat...no way.

2 comments:

Caroline said...

'whackadoodle' is a fabulous term! That makes me mad about jessica's pic. They had a big thing on "is the anorexic olsen twin pregant? she had a bump?" No wonder she is anorexic! With all that pressure- it makes me so mad.

Rachel said...

I have been a nurse for 20 years this is the first time I have been laid off. The home health I worked for practically has no patients.All this is thanks to "Bush's war"