Nutella + Banana Bread
In the words of Barefoot Contessa, "how bad could that be?"
It wasn't bad at all. In fact it was delicious.
Especially when it is warm with a nice cold glass of milk!
- 5 tablespoons of Nutella
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon canola oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 medium ripe bananas, sliced
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup buttermilk *
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine Nutella and 1 teaspoon canola oil in a microwave-safe dish. Microwave at 30 second intervals until melted, stirring every time.
3. Combine 3 tablespoons canola oil, butter, brown sugar, and bananas in a large bowl. Beat at medium-high speed until well blended. Add eggs one at a time, beating well.
4. Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Beating at low speed, add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately to banana mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
5. Pour half of the batter into a greased 9 x 5 loaf pan. Top with the melted Nutella mixture. Pour remaining batter over Nutella. Using a toothpick, swirl batter.
6. Bake at 350 degrees for 55 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack.
* If you don't have buttermilk on hand you can always make your own by pouring 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or white vinegar in a measuring cup then add enough milk to bring the liquid measurement to 1 cup. Let the mixture stand for 5 minutes. Then just use whatever amount the recipe calls for and discard the remaining.
*Adapted from Cooking Light