3.17.2013

Spaghetti Squash Alfredo

True story.
I just ate spaghetti squash for the first time last weekend.
My lovely sister-in-law made it for me.
It was a party in my mouth.
So now I'm obsessed and I think its the coolest veggie ever.
During my nightly Pinterest session I stumbled upon this recipe and had to try it.
I use to LOVE me some Fettuccine Alfredo but stopped eating it because I always felt so guilty afterwards.
Not anymore folks.

Ingredients:
- 1 Spaghetti Squash
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 2 1/2 tablespoons of flour
- 1 tablespoon of minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon cream cheese (room temp)
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
- Salt and pepper

Directions:
1. Pre-heat oven to 350. Poke a few holes deep into the squash with a large knife. Place squash on baking sheet and bake for 60 minutes. Let squash cool for 10-20 minutes after baking. Cut in half length wise then scoop out the seedy inside leaving the "spaghetti strands." Use a fork to gently scrape the "spaghetti strands" into the middle. 

2. Melt the butter in a sauce pan. When melted add minced garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute while stirring. Stir in the cream cheese then the milk. Bring mixture to a simmer and the sauce thickens. Remove from heat and stir in the Parmesan Cheese and season with salt and pepper.

3. Pour Alfredo sauce over each squash half and gently stir. Sprinkle with a little more Parmesan Cheese and place under the broiler for 2-4 minutes until golden and bubbly. 

*I used low-fat cream cheese and milk to make it lighter.
*One spaghetti squash is plenty for two people but this recipe can easily be doubled if preparing two squash.


No comments: