Okay lets get started. - In a large pan brown the hamburger and sausage over medium-high. Drain off the excess fat. - Add the whole tomatoes (juice and all) and the tomato paste. Season with salt, pepper, garlic (powder or minced or fresh...whatever floats your boat). I also added a few shakes of red pepper flakes because I like it hot! - Let that mixture simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. - Pre-heat the oven to 350 and start boiling some water to cook the lasagna noodles.- Chopped up the fresh basil and parsley. Add half the herbs to the meat mixture and set aside the remaining herbs.
- In a medium bowl, mix the cottage cheese, eggs, 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese, and the rest of the herbs.
- Cook the lasagna noodles as directed on the package. Place them on a baking sheet covered with aluminium foil untill we are ready to use them.
- Now its time to start layering! In a rectangular baking dish begin my placing 4 noodles in the bottom. (The noddles will overlap).
- Next add 1/2 of the cottage cheese mixture, sprinkle with 1/2 of the mozzarella cheese, then add a little less than half of the meat mixture.
-Repeat. You should end up with the meat mixture on top. Sprinkle the remaining Parmesan cheese on top.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes. Allow the lasagna to set for 10 minutes before cutting.
It was delicious! Don't be afraid. Make it this weekend. You will thank yourself.