2.03.2010

Lasagna

I did something on Sunday night that I've never done before...make lasagna from scratch. I tried to pretend like I was snowed in last weekend but by Sunday I had developed a bad case of cabin fever. Chad and I decided to venture out and gathered the ingredients for lasagna. I followed a recipe by Pioneer Woman as she never lets me down.
Ingredients
- 1 1/2 pounds of hamburger meat (I used 85/15 mix)
- 1 pound of hot breakfast sausage
- 1 pound of mozzarella cheese
- 2 14.5oz cans of whole tomatoes
- 2 6oz cans of tomato paste
- Around 10 fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Lasagna noodles
- 3 cups of low-fat cottage cheese
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs

Okay lets get started. - In a large pan brown the hamburger and sausage over medium-high. Drain off the excess fat. - Add the whole tomatoes (juice and all) and the tomato paste. Season with salt, pepper, garlic (powder or minced or fresh...whatever floats your boat). I also added a few shakes of red pepper flakes because I like it hot! - Let that mixture simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. - Pre-heat the oven to 350 and start boiling some water to cook the lasagna noodles.

- Chopped up the fresh basil and parsley. Add half the herbs to the meat mixture and set aside the remaining herbs.
- In a medium bowl, mix the cottage cheese, eggs, 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese, and the rest of the herbs.
- Cook the lasagna noodles as directed on the package. Place them on a baking sheet covered with aluminium foil untill we are ready to use them.
- Now its time to start layering! In a rectangular baking dish begin my placing 4 noodles in the bottom. (The noddles will overlap).
- Next add 1/2 of the cottage cheese mixture, sprinkle with 1/2 of the mozzarella cheese, then add a little less than half of the meat mixture.
-Repeat. You should end up with the meat mixture on top. Sprinkle the remaining Parmesan cheese on top.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes. Allow the lasagna to set for 10 minutes before cutting.


It was delicious! Don't be afraid. Make it this weekend. You will thank yourself.

1 comment:

Mom said...

So that was what Marley was waiting to eat? Looks good!